Jul 14, 2011

The conditions of those who feared Allah

Uthman bin Affan (RadiyAllah anhu) used to cry until his beard was soaked each time that he stood at a grave. He used to say, “If I were standing between the garden and the Fire, not knowing in which one of the two I would end up I would rather be turned into ashes before I learned my fate.”

Muslim Ibn Bashir (RadiyAllah anhu) says that during his last illness Abu Huraira (ra) began weeping bitterly. He was asked the reason of his weeping. At this he said, 'I am weeping because I have a long journey to cover and have the least provisions with me. In the morning I have found myself at a hillock which leads to both paradise and to hell, and I know not wither I would be made to go.'

One day Abu Bakr (RadhiyAllah anhu) entered a garden where he saw a bird standing under the shade of the tree. He sighed deeply and said: O bird! How lucky you are. You eat from tress and take shade under them. When you die you do not have fear of reckoning on the day of judgement. I wish i were just like you.

In the presence of Ibn Masud (RadiyAllah anhu) a man once said " I do not like to be from among the companions of the right hand, but I would like to be from among those who are nearest to Allah" Ibn Masud replied " But there is a servant here, who wishes that when he dies he will not be resurrected again (meaning himself).

Abdullah bin ‘Amir (RadiAllahu ‘anhu) narrated that ‘Umar bin Al-Khattab (radiAllahu ‘anhu) picked up a piece of straw from the ground and said, “Would that I were this piece of straw! Would that I had never been created! Would that my mother never gave birth to me! Would that I didn’t exist! Would that I were a non-existent, forgotten thing! ‘Umar (radiAllahu ‘anhu) did not say these words out of ungratefulness; rather, he said them because of his prodigious fear of Allah (Azza wa-jal) and His punishment.

One night Hasan al Basri woke up weeping, and he disturbed the other people in the house with his weeping. They asked him what was the matter and he said: “I remembered a sin that I committed and I wept.”

Haram bin Hiyaan said, “I wish, by Allah, that I was a tree that a camel would eat and discharge as droppings, and that I would not endure the reckoning of the Day of Resurrection; verily, I fear the Great Calamity.“

Ismaa’eel ibn Zakariya described Habeeb ibn Muhammad, who was a neighbour of his. He said: “Every evening I heard him weeping and every morning I heard him weeping, so I went to his wife and said: ‘What is the matter with him? He weeps in the evening and he weeps in the morning!’ She said to me: ‘By Allaah, when evening comes he fears that he will not live till morning and when morning comes he fears that he will not live till evening.’”

Abu Bakr bin Aiyash said, "If you saw Habib bin Abu Thabit while in Sujud, you would think that he had died because of his long prostration."

No comments:

Post a Comment